Alright, so MARRIAGE….it’s a big deal and GOD LOVES IT!!
And I love it too! (yes, I do know I’m a single, 19 year old girl…and surely God knows it too but He just really keeps driving the point home..putting marriage on my heart….in all seriousness, I’m extremely thankful for the hunger and wisdom God has given me on the subject and for the way He has helped me apply it to help others and advance His Kingdom!)
I am no expert on this (I’m just going to share with you what I have been praying over my future husband for the past 4 years or so and if it works, well honestly I don’t know that but stay tuned and one day we will know! lol)
Before we get into the list….. YOU WILL ATTRACT WHAT YOU ARE.
One of the most powerful things I’ve heard on the subject came from the mouth of Andy Stanley…he was telling the story of a girl he knew. She was raised a Christian but got into the ‘hooking up’ thing after college…one night she met an AMAZING christian man at an event and she told her mama all about him. Her mom replied with something along the lines of: “baby, that’s great..but a man like that will want nothing to do with a woman like the one you’re being.”
Are you being the person you were created to be? If you met the “right one” today would you be their idea of the “right one?”
You are a current representation of your future husband, in-laws, and children. Are you representing them well?
You are not somehow magically transformed into the perfect wife just because you wear a pretty dress, say “I do,” or have a ring on your finger and a man at your side.
And the same goes for husbands….
The characteristics and skills of a godly man or woman are produced and polished beforehand in a season of singleness.
*the most important thing to focus on is preparing yourself for WHATEVER God has planned for you; marriage or no marriage…but, if you’ve explored your heart and found a God-placed desire for marriage and you want to begin praying for your future husband, you are in the right place!
Prayer should never be taken lightly; this is no exception.
This man, your future husband, needs your prayers.
He may not even know it right now, but we live in a mean world and you better believe he needs it now more than ever.
And just as God Himself will entrust him to be the head of your household, you are entrusted to pray for, encourage, and build up your husband – that starts NOW.
ALL OF THAT SETTLED, here we are……how to pray for your future husband!
–while you pray for your fh, it is so very important that you pray God would mold you into the woman you are meant to be…and meant to be for him. pray that his wife would be all he needs her (you incase you aren’t tracking..hehehe) to be and all that God intended her to be. pray that when you meet the right one, you would be the right one, because you are rooted so deeply in the Right One. remember that a passionate pursuit of Jesus sets all of the other things (the fruits; John 15:5) up to fall into place.
and if you meet a man you think is yours, be patient & come before God in prayer for him and his future wife…pray he finds God’s best for him & resist the temptation to throw your own name in there…ya feel? 😉
Pray that he….
- Would place God above all, would let Jesus Christ be the Lord of his life – Deuteronomy 6:5 love The Lord, your God, will all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength
[most important, because if God is really on the throne of his heart, all the rest will follow…see above lol]
- Has great knowledge of The Lord – 2 Peter 3:18 grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Proverbs 18:15 the heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out
- Would submit to Christ and be the spiritual head/leader of our family – 1 Corinthians 11:3 at the head of every man is Christ and at the head of every woman is man Ephesians 5:21 submit to one another out of reverence for Christ
- Will love me deeply, as God has called him to – Ephesians 5:25,28 husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her…..husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies, he who loves his wife loves himself Song of Solomon 2:4 his banner over me is love
- Would have a heart for our children(if God so blesses us) – Colossians 3:21 fathers, do not embitter your children or they will become discouraged Malachi 4:6 He will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers Ephesians 6:4 fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of The Lord
- Makes wise choices – Galatians 5:13 you, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free; but do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh…rather, serve one another humbly in love Proverbs 2:2 turn your ear to wisdom and apply your heart to understanding
- Is a hard worker – 1 Corinthians 15:58 always give yourself fully to the work of The Lord, because you know that your labor in The Lord is not in vain Colossians 3:23 work at everything with all your heart as if working for The Lord and not for human masters
- Resists sexual temptation – 1 Corinthians 6:18 flee from sexual immorality Ephesians 5:3 but among you there must not even be a hint of sexual immorality
- Will have a Proverbs 31 & Titus 2 wife! (proverbs 31:10-31 and Titus 2:4-5 to be exact)
- Keeps his eyes pure – Psalm 101:3 I will not look with approval on anything that is vile
- Speaks edifying words – Ephesians 4:15 speaking the truth in love… 4:29 do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen
- Has spiritual endurance – Hebrews 12:1 let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in The Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint
- Has self-control – Titus 2:6 encourage the young men to be self-controlled Galatians 5:22 the fruit of the Spirit is…..self-control 2 Peter 1:5 make every effort to add to your faith……self-control
- Is known by his good character – Proverbs 31:23 her husband is respected at the city gate where he takes his seat among the elders Song of Solomon 1:3 your name is like oil poured out
This is meant to build up your future husband and build his relationship with The Lord. If anything in you is looking at this list as a way to snag the perfect man, you are missing the whole point.
Even the most “perfect” of men is still just that….a man.
Do not look for perfection but instead seek a man that is faithful though flawed.
Share this. Print this off, put it on the fridge, tape it to your mirror, slip it in your bible, wherever….keep this close to your heart and use it as a guide to pray for your husband daily, starting TODAY. I promise he will thank you for it!!
follow up post HERE